Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Threadgills!


Thanksgiving was great. My family once again engaged in one of the few traditions that we have. Threadgill's. Threadgill's is one of those original "Keep Austin weird" restaurants where at any time you can see some of the socially elite sitting at a table next to the guy that you just gave all your spare change to outside.

I think that they filmed an American Express commercial there a couple of years ago (I know you care...)


As we were seated a heavily pierced man came to take our drink orders. "Could I start you guys out with some Margaritas or anything?"
Apparently the holidays are tough on some people.
"No, we'll all just have water." The three of us (My brother, Uncle and I) replied. After he walked off I got what must have been the 196th lecture on the woes of tattoos and piercings, which wouldn't have bothered me except...
During this lesson, a new couple walked in to sit in the booth directly behind me. She was clad in fish nets, dark make-up and covered in tattoos. He may have actually had at least a dozen visible piercings.

I could tell by there glaring stares and gnashing teeth that they did not appreciate my Uncle's thoughts on the "evils of destroying your body."

I love thanksgiving.
We spent Sunday going to visit a church that I had never been to before. Then we helped do what my uncle does every week. That is serve food under the IH-35 bridge to homeless people in downtown Austin. Literally hundreds of homeless people recognized him. Many remembered his name and came up to give him a hug. As Elliott and I watched he would pray with them, ask them what they need and just sit to listen to their stories.
I've got a cool Uncle. Elliott and I are coming up to our 17th year of being able to call him our uncle/dad, but I'm sure that is a blog for another time.
I hope that everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving and hope to be able to read about some of your stories online.

Other things that Happened over Turkey Week:

Hook'em! - Although we tried to let A&M Win

I watched my A-High boys end their 2005 Playoff Run Against Southlake Carroll (I thought that they were a college team!!!)

I decided that I may need a new car (Anyone looking for a 1995 Dodge Neon with 150k miles?)

Elliott got into Law School!!!

Amanda and I went to see Rent - Yeah, I dug it too

2 Comments:

At 11/29/2005 12:48 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey David- it was so good to see you on Saturday! I'm sorry it was such a short visit- Kristi said afterwards, "that guy is really awesome." Congrats to Elliot for getting into law school! Take care and hug Amanda for me (plus, try to convince her to start blogging!).

 
At 11/30/2005 4:02 PM, Blogger Matt McBryde said...

Dude,
Great to hear from you. I thought the blog was great, and the A&M - UT game as awesome. Did I tell you I married into an AGGIE family!?! I need a hug...
M@

 

Post a Comment

<< Home