Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Its been a while...

Well, I apologize for the time in between bloggings. A lot has happened since my last post. Here are some highlights:

1.) I went to the Dentist - this will definately have to be a blog posting all by itself!!!

2.) Placed memebership at church, again - Apparently, my trial period ran out since I placed membership there 6 years ago as a student

3.) Dressed up like Methulselah for Halloween - Imagine me shaving a bald spot in my head, wearing glasses and boardshorts, and going crazy with a can of White hair dye...

4.) Watched my beloved Horns beat down everyone they have played (Hook'em!)

5.) Finally gotten someone to come out and turn my heat on at the house (My property management team is AWFUL)

6.) Played golf with my brother and my girlfriend's dad (Pat) - let me tell you how much I love being the absolute worst at something...

7.) Stayed at the Hyatt and Omni Hotels in Austin

8.) Thrown the absolute worst pass in the history of intramural football - Yes, I agreed to play in a couple of intramural games - I'm officially one of those old guys

9.) Went and saw Jarhead with Amanda (the girlfriend) - great movie which was pretty nonpolitical - reminded me some of Blackhawk Down in the way that it was written.

10.) Hosted a College of Business Luncheon and Dinner in Austin - At which I got to hear the Dean of our college of business make, lets just say an inappropriate comment...

It is this last one that I am going to spend some time on in this post - I am sure the others on the list will be revisited at some point. Leslie Mayo made the point that I should blog the next 10 days over those things, so that could even be possible.
Anyways, In case you were wondering, I am a recruiter for the University that I (and probably every single person who is reading this blog) graduated from. I have always loved my job because I get to travel and work with High Schoolers, which is a lot of fun. High Schoolers are unpredictable, and apparently so are 40 year olds with PH D's...
The dean our college of business made the trip to Austin to help me put on a recruiting event. In all there were 7 of us in attendance who work directly for the university. We worked our butts off to get ready for a luncheon for alumni and dinner for prospective students at this very ritsy restaurant in downtown Austin called Carmello's. It was during the luncheon that I heard one of the most awkward and humorous things come out of a dean's mouth EVER...
Dean Lytle is a very well spoken and likeable guy, so I am glad that this happened to him, otherwise his career may be over with our dear little university.
Dr. Lytle was talking about COBA and how we like to invite different business leaders in to hang out with our students as well as help them with their businesses. Now, in this day and age it is very important for you to be completely PC, especially if you are addressing a large group. In his attempt to include women as business leaders who come in and visit ACU, he made a bit of a word fowl up... I'll just type it out...

Dr. Lytle: >"We have people from all over come to visit. They come into our conference room and get to business. The men take off their blazers and the women take off their blouses in order to be a little more comfortable"

I guess COBA runs a little different than my office does...

6 Comments:

At 11/10/2005 2:21 PM, Blogger Shanta said...

NO-HE-DIDN'T. Classic. Thanks for the story!

 
At 11/11/2005 8:19 AM, Blogger leslie said...

Yay! Another post for David! I'm so proud of you.
I enjoyed reading your 10 things. I think you should talk about your trip to the dentist next. Those are always fun stories.

 
At 11/15/2005 12:41 PM, Blogger Matt Foster said...

In my three years employed by COBA, not once did a topless lady ever address me -- I feel jipped...

 
At 11/15/2005 2:23 PM, Blogger hejlyeah said...

That is the funniest thing ever. This is Sara, by the way. Glad I found your blog!

 
At 11/15/2005 2:44 PM, Blogger lhall said...

i would like to make a comment in reference to your comment on kenli's post...naming her bball team "banana slugs II" would suggest that her team was the most-winningist, best team....if you are cutting down the banana slugs by putting them in the same category as the bad news bears...so help me, david...

 
At 11/15/2005 2:53 PM, Blogger Kenli Shea said...

I might be able to name my cute little girls banana slugs II, if that is, I was a banana slug myself, thanks for bringing that back up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home